This is one I have had a ton of requests for – the infamous New Orleans original Hurricane. This is a ‘batch mode’ adapted from a recipe found on Chuck Taggart’s amazing site The Gumbo Pages. Be forewarned that this drink exhibits the three dangerous “S” characteristics – Stealthy, Smooth, and Strong.
• 600 ml Dark Rum (Good rum – like Cockspur or Appleton)
• 600 ml Light Rum (any decent light rum – Bacardi is fine)
• 750 ml Orange Juice
• 1 liter Passion fruit nectar
• Juice of 9 fresh limes (don’t you dare use bottled lime juice!)
• 14 packets of Splenda (or use sugar or whatever to taste – see note below)
• Maraschino Cherry juice to taste… I used about 4-5 ounces of juice
Mix everything together in a large container (it makes 3 liters). Serve in tall glasses over lots of ice, and drop a maraschino cherry or two in each glass. If you have leftovers, it keeps well in the fridge for at least a week.
- Any decent light rum will do, but for this recipe to turn out well you need to use a good dark rum – I suggest Appleton from Jamaica or Cockspur from Barbados – cheap dark rum will RUIN this drink!
- Many better grocery stores will stock passion fruit nectar in liter bottles – usually under the brand name Looza. If you can’t find it, you can try substituting another tropical juice like mango or papaya, but it just isn’t the same.
- I use Splenda for sweetener because it dissolves better in the mixture and because chicks dig the low-cal thing. Feel free to use good old sugar if you want, but you will have to stir it forever and you will still end up with a slurry of un-dissolved sugar in the bottom of your container. Please taste as you sweeten – the amount of sweetener needed will vary depending on the bitterness of of your limes, and you run the risk of over-sweetening the batch (plus it is fun!).
- My original recipe called for 750ml of white and dark rum, not 600ml. It was great, but people were dropping like flies. Try it if you want a drink that will make people lay down instead of party…